Work started in 2009 with an architectural inventory and a study intended to assess state of preservation of the shrine’s architectural shape, wall paintings and furnishings. The Our Lady of the Rosary & St John Cantius Church in Przydonica is one of Lesser Poland’s most valuable historic buildings. Erected in 1527, the wooden church has maintained its original architectural form until today. It features an outstanding collection of artwork: a 16th century Renaissance polychrome, a Gothic crucifixion group on the rood beam from ca 1530, two triptychs from the 3rd quarter of the 15th and early 16th centuries, as well as a Rococo high altar.
After the several years needed to complete its conservation, this exceptional historic building has become the pearl of the Nowy Sącz region. The chief assumption behind the comprehensive conservation begun in 2010 was to involve a wide-ranging team of conservators and allow thus an extensive review on the church’s architecture and interior. During this past year was carried out the conservation of the church’s architectural form, including a replacement of the roof shingles and wall sheathing, as well as was launched conservation work on the wall paintings in the chancel.
Photos by Jarosław Adamowicz, PhD